In view of the epidermic of ebola viral disease (EVD),I urge us all to defuse the panic. My nanny woke me at 3am cause someone called to ask her to bathe with hot salt water before 6am as a prevention. So did my mother in law.
1. Salt and water neither prevent nor cure the disease. Salt may actually be harmful by causing tiny bruises on skin for viruses to enter
2. Excessive salt consumption can lead to hypertension and death. Already deaths were recorded in Abuja.
3. Few people have the disease for now. You can only contact it from someone who is very ill. No need to avoid people on the road.
4. Advise the sick to seek medical help rather than self medicate
5. Any sypmtom of high fever, vomitting and diarrhoea should be reported to the health authorities. Do not try to touch the bodyfluids of the sick or any corpse.
6. Wash hands with soap and water especially after shaking hands or touching surfaces others touch. Sanitizers are good but water and soap are better. After washing, close the tap and door with your elbow or paper napkin.
7. Meditate on the word and proclaim it daily.
Ps.91 says “We shall not fear ebola by day nor boko haram by night. Under his immunity shall we trust. He will cover us with his vaccine. With long life will he satisfy us”
Keep praying for health workers, for courage and protection.
God bless and keep you.